Final Notes and Special Thanks

Editor's note: This last part, was not included in the original version of Green & Gold Digest; I added it for this 2010 online re-creation.

The months I spent putting together Green & Gold Digest in 1990 were filled with challenges, hope and frustration.
  • The challenges I enjoyed were trying to create a publication that filled niches that Harrison High's three existing publications didn't (or wouldn't) fill, simultaneously editing the whole magazine for layout as well as content, and finding a way to create the magazine without crashing my computer (the way the September 1989 issue of the Catalyst crashed that staff's Macintosh computer; I was able to avoid that by saving each article as a separate file instead of putting them all into one big file).
  • The hope--at the time, anyway--was that someone else at Harrison might be interested in making G&G a regular publication, and as such, years later, it would become my legacy to Harrison.
  • The frustration I experienced came mainly from the fact that creating a printed publication is an expensive process--especially where the per-copy cost of having a magazine professionally printed is concerned. For example, I had assumed that the cost of getting a 24-page magazine printed must be less than 50 cents a copy if the Catalyst staff sold it for 50 cents a copy, but their advisor, Mrs. Kathy Nyberg, told me that wasn't the case at all. The Catalyst's magazine format--a format it adopted in the fall of 1998 to take advantage of new desktop publishing software--was losing money. When A.J. Liebling said in 1960 that “Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one," he wasn't kidding.

Special thanks go to:
  • Mr. Mike Teachman, Mr. Walt Boluch, Mrs. Nyberg and Mrs. Laura Sparrow for letting me post my AP Math/English newsletters in their classrooms
  • Everyone who complimented my A.P.M. 10 year-end review in 1988, especially Mr. Teachman--that's how this whole publishing hobby took off
  • Mrs. Nyberg for taking the time to answer my questions, and above all, for teaching an excellent Journalism course
  • Mr. Clayton Graham (Principal) for taking the time to look over G&G prior to it going to press (to say the least, he did me a huge favor)
  • And Mr. John Summerlee (Assistant Principal) for letting me use the school copier to make about 60 copies of G&G
Thanks for reading Green & Gold Digest. I hope you enjoyed it. You can also check out the G&G Reunion Issue (which I compiled in 2000) or G&G Time Capsule (compiled in 2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment